Trailer tire question

204 Escape

WHAT brand tire/load rating are you running on your trailer??

I was told about NEXEN tires, and Hercules tires.

I had been running COOPER tires, but it sadly is time to replace them, and COOPER does NOT make a 14" trailer tire anymore.

I do NOT want Carlisle tires.

Suggestions ??

Thanx :cheers:

Peels

I just replaced my good year marathons that BOTH de-treaded in the same month...but to their defense, I think it was "their time" and had to get some quick before our ozarks trip...

I got hercules radials. 20575r14. they pulled just fine over the 500 mile round trip....

OH.. I have a single axle trailer.

204 Escape

Well, when we bought our present boat, it had Carlisle tires on it. I had heard nothing but B-A-D things about them, so I got rid of them.

I've NEVER had any luck with a GOOD-FOR-A-Year tire in my life. (However, my wife has them on her 2010 Lariat, and they are quiet, ride well, and and seem to have good traction.)

The COOPER tires that I put on the present trailer, are NO LONGER made in a 14" tire.

I wanted an American made tire. Hercules is a 6 ply tire, and American made.

There will be 4 of them mounted tomorrow. We will see how it goes.

THANX, for all of your input.

Peels

awesome!

good luck. I am pleased so far...but only 750 or so miles as of now.

The price of the marathons vs the hercules, I couldnt get a clear answer on why goodyears were so much.

just wanted radial 14" trailer tires. Hercules were 82 each mounted. The goodyears were 120 ish for that size, and having watch them both detread and destroy fenders on my trailer, and put a black mark on my hull, I couldn't find a reason to plunk down the extra. Even though they were pretty old, and sat alot...I still had that image fresh in my mind.

again, good luck.

204 Escape

EVERYTIME tha "I" have run Good For A Year tires, I've had nothing but trouble.

The last time that I had them, I came within a whisker of being killed. ALOT of peoople have great luck with them. They sell ALOT of tires. I guess they just don't like "ME" !!!

Sean

They sell a lot because they are one of the few "Trailer" specific tires readily available (by a major manufacturer).

I've never had an issue with one...and I have a "worn to the belts" pair in my garage.

Peels

They sell a lot because they are one of the few "Trailer" specific tires readily available (by a major manufacturer).

I've never had an issue with one...and I have a "worn to the belts" pair in my garage.

I think the issue with mine was age, plus too much sitting. The tread was barely worn. Then when I got the boat, weve been taking it everywhere... 2 hr drive every other week... I think again, it was just "time to go"

I think they are fine tire...However, the premium you pay for them, there should be no question as to why you are paying more, and I couldnt see it

Sean

204 Escape, Any longer reports on your Hercules trailer tires.
btw, Hercules brand is owned by Cooper Tire. They may or may not be manufactured in the US. Cooper/Hercules has 8 tire plants worldwide.

204 Escape

I apologize for the slow response.

I've towed the boat trailer several times, and so far so good. The tires appear to be stable, don't lose air pressure, do NOT seem to get HOT on a really hot day. (
100* + regular temp, unsure what the highway temps were. So far, I'd recommend them. ) :thumb: FWIW, I do put the tires up on wood runners, in a rock driveway, to keep water, etc., off of them, AND I put "shields" up in front of the tires to keep the sun off of them.

I did however have to replace the trailer runner boards, BUT, that is another story.....................