Greetings!

Wet-Willy

Hi.all!Just buzzing in with a quick intro.

I've collected outboards for a couple of years now,and finally got last year.A 1959 Peterborough cedar strip 16' w/ a Merc 50.Unfortunately when I got to working on it this spring it fell apart.Totally rotted under the varnish.So now I had a trailer and motors,but still no boat.:brickwall:

Late this summer I scored a 16' Sidewinder fiberglass speedboat for $200.Needed seats,motor and trailer,all of which I had.After some fixing and a few upgrades,I've had her out a few times.

She's now packing a 72 Merc 1150 inline 6 with a 41MPH top speed.Still needs paint and cosmetic work,but it's a good start for a first timer.

I'll post a pic when I'm allowed to.

Again,Greetings!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard WW! :)

Nice to have you aboard.

Everyone is allowed to post pics, there is an instruction thread in Help Forum. You'll need to follow the set for non-subscribing members.

http://forums.endlessboating.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68

Or you can upload your pics to the gallery under the Sidewinder category and then link them from the gallery and insert them in your posts.

-Chris

Wet-Willy

Thanks,Chris.I looked up the pic posting procedure.Lets see if it works.

picture.php

1970 something Sidewinder 16' w/ 1972 Merc 1150 Inline 6

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome!

I appreciate you contributing that to our ever growing gallery. :)

Love those old tower of powers! :thumb:

-Chris

Dale

Welcome Aboard Wet-Willy

Welcome to the forum. Great job on the build. It's beautiful. You're pretty talented for the first time out. I want to hear the story of how you got it for only $200.00.

Wet-Willy

Not much to that story.The previous owner got the Sidewinder as part of a package deal with an 18' bowrider running an 85 Merc.He didn't want the Sidewinder,but couldn't get the bowrider without it.So he took the deal and put the sidewinder up cheap to get rid of it.

It had a few issues when I picked it up.No seats,wires hanging everywhere and the steering siezing up.I cleaned up the wiring,put in the drum-and-cable steering from my cedar strip and modded and mounted some old kitchen furniture for seats.Just enough to get her usable.(Red Green would be proud:D)

Up till now i've had 3 motors on her.First was a 1969 Chrysler 45hp that I had rebuilt,then a 1971 Merc 500(50hp) from the cedar strip.Now I've got a 1972 Merc 150(115hp) that I traded for a minibike.(That one will stay on there for a while I think.)I've also upgraded the steering to a rotary helm single cable setup.Much sturdier.

I still have the previous motors in my collection,as well as a 1947 Johnson 2.5,a 1961 Flying Scott 75.2hp(not running) and an unidentifiable OMC outboard(50 or 60hp I think)

That may have been more info than you wanted.:rof:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Not much to that story.The previous owner got the Sidewinder as part of a package deal with an 18' bowrider running an 85 Merc.He didn't want the Sidewinder,but couldn't get the bowrider without it.So he took the deal and put the sidewinder up cheap to get rid of it.

It had a few issues when I picked it up.No seats,wires hanging everywhere and the steering siezing up.I cleaned up the wiring,put in the drum-and-cable steering from my cedar strip and modded and mounted some old kitchen furniture for seats.Just enough to get her usable.(Red Green would be proud:D)

Up till now i've had 3 motors on her.First was a 1969 Chrysler 45hp that I had rebuilt,then a 1971 Merc 500(50hp) from the cedar strip.Now I've got a 1972 Merc 150(115hp) that I traded for a minibike.(That one will stay on there for a while I think.)I've also upgraded the steering to a rotary helm single cable setup.Much sturdier.

I still have the previous motors in my collection,as well as a 1947 Johnson 2.5,a 1961 Flying Scott 75.2hp(not running) and an unidentifiable OMC outboard(50 or 60hp I think)

That may have been more info than you wanted.:rof:
I'd love to see some pics of your old iron. Do you ever get around to any of the boating shows, like the Antique & Classic Boat show that's in Gravenhurst in July of each year?

The Antique Outboard guys are typically there and they always have some great old motors on display. :thumb:

-Chris

yolanda

Official EB Photographer!
Welcome aboard wet-willy!

Well, I guess you can drum it up to "you win some...you loose some" but by looking at your boat pic, I would say you have a win win situation. Very nice and I am a big fan of the tower of power. What is the fastest you have had her run?

With the kind of weekend we just had, I would say that we may be in for the sweetest summer ever!!!!!