Mariner 75 Hp Cold Natured? Need Help on Starting

68rs327

I just bought a 1995 Monarck Pro 1650 with a 75 HP Mariner 2 stroke motor. I bought the boat from a friend of mine who bought the boat New. The boat has always been garage kept and well taken care of and has Very Low Hours. He may have fished with the boat 2 or 3 times a year, then put back in the garage. I have fished with him several times over the last 15 years and the boat has Always been "Cold Natured", He said it has been like that since new. Once you get it started it runs great all day. But the first time starting it takes several tries before she starts. You can then fish al day, shut the boat off for hours and it will always start right back up easily, it's just the first initial first start thats difficult and cold natured. What should I look at to help with the cold starts or is this something that's normal for 75 hp Mariners? Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to give a little history to help with the answer.

Peels

how long does it sit in between? So many small carbureted engines are like that....

keep a can of starting fluid handy.

Id agree maybe choke isnt working right.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'd guess it's something carb related - maybe something like the float.

-Chris

Sean

I'd guess it's something carb related - maybe something like the float. -Chris

I don't think so...If it were a float the problem would exist whether cold or hot. And would probably yeild other symptoms other than just hard starting.

Choke is used upon cold engine startup and is a good place to start.

I say check/add a primer bulb as it may actually be something else but if the end result is not getting fuel into the carb when cold this is a cheap and easy fix.