Brunswick seeks low-cost options for new boaters

EB News Bot

Super Moderator
Brunswick Corp. plans to “drive very aggressively to reduce costs” to lower consumers’ investment in boating between 2014 and 2016, in part by extending its brand offering to outboard deckboats.

5PCDFP5y-yA

More...

Sean

Yes but, Brunswick continues to charge $ 4,500 for a sterndrive replacement I can buy from SEI for $ 1,300 even though Merc is larger and enjoys economies of scale.

Looks to me like Brunswick/Mercury/Mercruiser overhead is a little too thick and they have more opportunities to waste their huge gross margins.

Let's get lean and mean then pass it on to the consumer.

Peels

Yes but, Brunswick continues to charge $ 4,500 for a sterndrive replacement I can buy from SEI for $ 1,300 even though Merc is larger and enjoys economies of scale.

Looks to me like Brunswick/Mercury/Mercruiser overhead is a little too thick and they have more opportunities to waste their huge gross margins.

Let's get lean and mean then pass it on to the consumer.

I agree.

a smidge off topic:

I feel like the boating industry needs a shakeup. Which seems like it is KIND OF happening. With the advent of GOOD jet drives...and super high tech outboards. which I'm a big fan of both. next boat will have one of those.

There were 20 years I was out of boating altogether. Only window shopping from time to time.. When I got back into it, I was a little saddened to see that not much had changed, comparatively(entry level and I/O wise) besides the slow death of the 2 stroke. RIP. slapping fuel injection on the same old motors is not progress to me. Thats why I went with a used one. Nothing new was actually new... I could do that at home if I wanted to. I want to see a new motor on an I/O. small, economical, affordable, powerful. Someone slap a VW diesel into one, Ill buy it. :) it'll be mad expensive, but so what. it already is.

I get that the merc sterndrive is "tried and true" piece of equipment but if it is so tried and true, the cost is WAY too high, and its not reliable enough vs the cost, to make it such a stalwart.

my 2.5 cents. grumpy today. Cant use my boat for 5 months, and it was too rainy and cold to ride the motorcycle. you know, 1st world problems. LOL

just feel like "having a chat" today :thumb:

Sean

I'm not an eggbeater or a jet guy....

While the industry may be in for some changes... I don't like the way this is heading. Going forward...Merc and Volvo will no longer use GM based engines. I don't know Volvos plan but, if Merc builds their own I see a much smaller circle of parts suppliers. With Brunswicks perpensity to charge an arm and a leg for everything they touch (as the market leader) this can only mean more expensive boating period.

Sure there are drives like Ilmore and Konrad etc... but those are high $ pieces for the hi-performance group. Companies like SEI need to make complete I/O systems and not just replacements. I have no problem with FI added to an existing lump to make a faster more reliable marine engine. The exotic stuff is out there BMW, Mercedes (BTW Volvo has a diesel duo prop system) it's just not what you find at the local North American marina.

It's kinda like racing . In North America we are NASCAR no matter how much we want F1. Until a good chunk of the population changes...NASCAR is what we'll stay. Except now Mercury will charge us more for it.

Peels

LOL at "eggbeaters". thats good stuff. I havent heard that before, Now I don't want one, because thats what ill see every time I look at it.

I do like the jets, for the sole reason we are ONLY in skinny water, and many times I spent more time stressing out about my outdrive striking a sunken tree, than I did having fun and watching my kids smile...

I guess I dont mind adding FI to the motor. but calling it "new" is problematic to me. Hell, A friend of mine fitted a ford ranger FI system to his carbureted yamaha atv engine, and it worked, but it was still the same yamaha atv engine. HE got 10 hp for his trouble I think :)

And I wasnt aware that there were so many choices in the diesel market. I bet its cost prohibitive LOL.

all I am saying is, Id like to see more innovation, that is all.

and I agree on the nascar reference (i hate nascar) I prefer rally. I dont care if a car wins, if I cannot buy it, or at least something reminiscent of it. :)

also.

I was not aware AT ALL of the many choices in diesel. I thought there were only larger engines. Ill be checking that out for fun. I already have a window up. :)

thanks Sean.

Peels

see...all I needed to do was search :) Its just that boat info, you have to search for.... cars, the media (and commercials) ram it down your throat. LOL

cool little article. not sure anything will come of it. good read.

the vw diesel is my benchmark for economy purposes. ANd OULD LOVE to see one with an outdrive. again, IM sure would be sticker shock though. but thats how innovation begins.

http://blog.boats.com/2011/03/marine-diesel-ready-for-runabouts/#.Uo5G8tLbN8E

Sean

$19,700 for a V8/Bravo drive.... Just Nuts!
This is why we need manufacturers for the "regular folk".

BTW, Diesel sounds good but, try get it at the local marina on a small lake somewhere....

Peels

$19,700 for a V8/Bravo drive.... Just Nuts!
This is why we need manufacturers for the "regular folk".

BTW, Diesel sounds good but, try get it at the local marina on a small lake somewhere....

yeah. wow.

barked up wrong tree there LOL

we do have diesel at our marina. on the mississippi. but 19,000 dollars. pretty sure fuel availability is a non issue for me LOL.

Maybe buy a wrecked one and marinize the motor and put it in my little runabout.....but even that...jeesh retirement project maybe....

made for great conversation today though. :cheers:

Peels

Check this out...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.400590350015673.91794.400112990063409&type=1
A little "homr innovation" but I'm told not uncommon in europe.

Not your "run of the mill" mill.
BTW, I soooooooo want one of these. even if it will only make 300 or so HP.

WOW that is SERIOUSLY cool!

time and money no object....something like that would be fun.

ooh, a porsche flat 6. but Id need thru hull so I could hear it.

ha found a pic of one....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rsche_PFM_3200.jpg/800px-Porsche_PFM_3200.jpg

I have seen the BIG MONEY speedboats down in florida with crazy engines etc. SO cool. but i was thinkin efficiency....