Glastron in "Live & Let Die"

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I found this old shot of a Glastron flying from the James Bond movie "Live & Let Die".

If you've guys have any more, post 'em up in this thread and we'll see if we can get a nice collection together. :)

Enjoy! :)

-Chris

2009-Evinrude-100th-Glastro1.jpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I found a YouTube of the boat chase itself.

Bonds boat looks like it's got a 135 'Rude Starflite on it. :thumb:

Here's part 1. :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
And part 2. :)

I have to wonder if this happened if 2008, if they wouldn't have called "Captain Morgan" instead of "Billy Bob". ;)

I do believe the Captain would have the fastest boat in the south. :thumb: :D

Z28500

I have one of those,
that is a 1972 GT 150 that I bought back in 2008 and did a deck off restoration. Ground everything down to the bare fiberglass and put in new stringers, floor, transom, then did something the factory didn't do that we used to when I built boats for a living, and that is fill the floor with foam. Keeps water out and the the boat afloat in case of a capsize.
I first saw the boat in someones back yard where a house had burnt down and noticed it looked like the Live and Let Die boat, but wasn't sure. There were plants growing in it and the wood was all rotted out. The gelcoat and fiberglass were in great shape with no bubbles in the gelcoat which happens to boats that sit for a long time.
I went across the street and managed to get the owners phone number and went home and looked up the boat online. Then something happened - I wanted that boat, and really bad too! So I called the lady that owned it and asked her if she wanted to sell any of the scrap metal and other junk around that burnt down house and she replied in the affirmative. I then asked, by the way, what about the boat? She said she would be willing to trade it for a window air conditioner. Since I knew a guy that offered to sell me one for $40.00, I said OK, but then I couldn't get a hold of him on the phone. A few days later I called her and told her about the $40.00 A/C and offered her the money instead, or if she wanted, I would continue to try to get the A/C. To my surprise, she said the $40.00! Next thing I knew, I owned an orange and white GT 150! It was on a trailer with 1 flat tire and the other rim had no tire at all. I towed it home just like that. About a mile. I put it on another trailer and like I said, completely rebuilt it. White interior with gray carpet. An almost new steering wheel & cable. And I already had a 1977 Evinrude 85 on another boat (I have several boats) The 85 Evinrude looks almost like the 135 in the movie, and as a matter of fact I even thought about changing the 85 to 135 for looks. Anyway the 85 HP pushes the 900 pound boat a respectable 50 MPH and it will go airborne if you hit the waves just right! I don't recommend that to GT 150 owners unless the transom is reinforced though. I have plywood screwed and glassed in on each side of the motor well from the transom to the floor giving it that extra strength and rigidity.
Since I did all the labor, it didn't cost much to restore it, since I already had the motor, all I had to purchase was materials. I have about $400.00 in a boat that's worth, well, ya'll know how much they're worth, it's not the money!
Anyway, it may not be the fastest boat in the lake, but it certainly gets a lot of attention because a lot of people remember it. And all you guys that have a GT 150, or a Glastron, it's a great club.
Z28500

Sean

Great story!
I always had an interest in the Glastron brand as they were "A Conroy Company" no relation to me but, nice to see your 'name in lights" so to speak. It didn't hurt that they were great boats too>

Z28500

That's a Mahogany deck isn't it? It's a beauty. I saw you have a Chevrolet V-6 in it. I'm a Chevy guy myself, as a matter of fact I have 1:6Roller rockers in my Z28 so I know where you're coming from. That 4.3 is basically a small block v-8 with 2 cylinders taken off. Same water pump, starter etc.
Having built quite a few race engines with my buddy who owns a local machine shop, if you're going to take your block in, I'd get it "Zero decked" (top of piston even with top of block when at the top of it's stroke) Both of my engines are. They burn a whole lot cleaner and increase volumetric efficiency WAY up. Higher compression ratio too, but not that much more running flat tops. Let me put it this way, Zero decking is part of "Blueprinting" a block, and I don't know how much they charge up in your neck of the woods, but down here it was around $150.00. Just an idea, something to think about. I'll get carried away and talk about engines all day long!
Anyway, cool looking boat
Z

Last edited:

Sean

Thanks. I did the engine from the crank out this past winter. I added Vortec heads and went to 1:6 rollers and we did zero deck the block.
It has an Edelbrock induction package performer carb and manifold. She dyno'd just under 240HP @ 5100 with a very mild (near stock) cam.

BTW, yes she's Mahogony deck & hull with oak frames.

nathan

great story! love the glastron boats especially since they were orginially started and built in my home town. what part of texas are you in?

Peels

awesome story. I love the look of glastrons.... we like ours, for sure. Plus I think well be in the market for a bigger boat before long. I really would like to see their jet drive they have coming out...

I really think restoring an old boat like that would be fun. but..will have to wait...

Peels

Sean

There's actually two up for sale around here right now.... the other is a white one with a 90hp Merc for $ 3000....