1977 playcraft p24 pontoon

nathan

I have not posted anything about my current boat. my wife did not like the deck boat so I traded it for a 1977 playcraft p24 pontoon as thats what she wanted. below is when I got it home.

100_4322.jpg

I have removed the rotten seats and added two storage boxes to the back. so now I have a fully open front deck.

I also replaced the front driving lights

here is the engine and new gas tank.

nathan

I have also been woring on the motor and the water system. so tonight since the motor apart waiting on parts I figured I would fix the terrible paint on the motor since there was no paint left on the top. so I took all the decals off, sanded and cleaned the housing and motor. here are the pictures i will get better ones tomorrow.

before paint

after

so that is what I have been doing.

nathan

I still have the 1975 skeeter hawk and 1983 chaparral 235 xlc. but both are at my parent's place and need a lot of work.this one is almost ready for the water just as soon as I get the motor together.

Sean

Hey Nathan, if the other boat was a "deck" boat...is this one a "dock" boat ???
lol, just pokin' at cha :)

nathan

sounds about right. I picked this on up to make my wife and kids happy that does not like going fast on the water. all my parts are in so I get to put it back together now.

nathan

ok I replaced the thermostat and water impeller. the person that I got it from did not use a the correct one as it was not thick enough. so they used a washer to make up the difference :shakehead:. I also finally was able to get the engine to run again. the pick up tube in the tank sucked up sludge in the tank :brickwall:. it is now running like it is supposed to. so tomorrow we will take it out for a test run. :bounce:

IMAG0304_zps7169bc52.jpg

IMAG0305_zpsf337bc9c.jpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Those waterpumps should be rebuilt fairly regularly anyway. :)

Many people leave them for years until they can't figure out why they're overheating one day. ;)

-Chris

nathan

the bad part was that they replaced it last year and it just was not push enough water. now I know why.

nathan

ok well everything was going good but then I noticed the motor change it tone so we headed to the shore. It was a good thing I did as the motor started to go back to the same thing it did before and the primer ball would stay squeezed and not reflate until I disconnected the fuel line from the tank. It uses the a 12 gallon portable atwood tank. anyone have any ideas on what is going on? I think I need help.

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
ok well everything was going good but then I noticed the motor change it tone so we headed to the shore. It was a good thing I did as the motor started to go back to the same thing it did before and the primer ball would stay squeezed and not reflate until I disconnected the fuel line from the tank. It uses the a 12 gallon portable atwood tank. anyone have any ideas on what is going on? I think I need help.

My sister's boat did the same thing. We replaced the fuel line and bulb, no problems now.

nathan

the bulb and the line to the tank is new but the line to the motor is older. if the fuel valve and older cap does not fix it I will replace the rest of the line

nathan

Ok I replaced all the fuel lines, removed the bulb, installed a cap off one of my older tanks. and to night I was able to finally get her to run for a good amount of time. still not perfect but defiantly better than before. now I just have to get the trolling motor that I also finished rebuilding on the boat (the back up motor) so we can go give it another try. April told me that I was not allowed to take it back out until I had a nothing way to move the boat incase the engine gave us issues again.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You could also check the fuel pump as well....

That's if the new hose doesn't correct things.... :)

-Chris

nathan

everything seems better now but that is in the drive way with a trash can full of water. I should know this weekend if she is finally fixed.

Sean

There's a lesson there somewhere....and a reminder "Do NOT use cheap parts!"

Up here it's reccomended to change the impeller annualy.I don't know if it's because of the freezing in winter or because the marine techs want more work but, it seems like good insurance to me.

nathan

this is more of a lesson that the epa can mess up a few thing. the main issue ended up being both the new atwood tank and the primer ball. the new tank have to be up to the EPA regulations to not allow gas fumes to escape. so there is no vent on the new tank unless you leave the cap loose. so I put a cap from the old tank that had a vent on the top. that fixed the issue with vacuum being created when the motor was running. I also took the new primer ball out as the motor did not have one when I picked it up. since I took the primer ball off the lines were to short so I decided to replace all the fuel lines while I was at it. now I need to take it to the lake for a water test as I can always seem to get them running in the driveway but the lake is a different story.

Sean

yeah, cause having them run at the lake would be too eay...LOL.

What's this EPA deal??? I'm pretty sure you MUST vent your fuel tank or the pressure becomes dangerous...maybe the vent must run through a charcoal filter or something?