Moving Adjustable Winch Stand

Dale

I want to adjust my tounge weight by moving the boat forward on my EZ Loader trailer. Does anyone know what moving the winch stand an inch is equal to in pounds or is there even an equation for this this? Also if I move the winch stand do I also have to move the bunks?

I don't want to overshoot my mark as I only have so many shots at this before winter sneaks up on me and I have to store it.

I have done all the weight measurements to determine I'm light.

Thanks

I'm not for sure what the formula would be (I'm sure there is one) for weight distribution for your package. Just curious as to why you want to add weight to the tongue of the trailer by moving the boat forward?

If you have any pictures and specs (length, weight, etc.), that would definitely help.

dave

if you move the mast you will have to adjust the bunks as well, get a heavy scale and put it under the jack and adjust your trailer if need be.

Dale

Thank you BigRed and Dave for your comments.

Here's the deal- I went to a public scale and weighed everything, my tongue weight is only 190lbs or 3.5% of my trailer weight. My trailer weights 5260lbs. My tongue weight should be 526lbs just to get it up to 10%.

I thought I could just move the winch stand and solve my problem, but if I also have to move the bunks (I have no idea how to do that) then I may be in over my head here. I know this is rookie stuff for most of you on here, but I'm new to this. I just want to get the best ride I can. It seems to be bouncing a lot in the backend.

So my question is this- Should I just have the guys over at the service center do this for me so I don't screw up my load, or am I over thinking this and it's just as easy to move the bunks as it is to move the stand? Or is there an easier way to adjust the traile tongue weight?

Thanks for your patience.

Fun Times

Don't you have a Brand new 08 Larson 226 Senza) You should see what your dealer can do to make this right before to much time goes buy.

What is the trailer brand?

Dale

Great idea you had there Boat Tech.

I took your advice and took it to the service center this morning and they said it needed to be moved 4 or 5 inches. It's hanging over the bunks in the back that far. He's going to do it for me at no cost. That's a much better idea than me doing it. Especially since it's at no cost.

He said there is no need to move the bunks since there is so much overhang. Also it has enough room that it will not interfer with the outdrive.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this smoothes out the drive for me.

Thank you

Fun Times

I took your advice and took it to the service center this morning and they said it needed to be moved 4 or 5 inches. It's hanging over the bunks in the back that far. He's going to do it for me at no cost. That's a much better idea than me doing it. Especially since it's at no cost.

He said there is no need to move the bunks since there is so much overhang. Also it has enough room that it will not interfer with the outdrive.

Thank you
I'm pretty sure it will.;):)

Thank you

That's great news. I'm glad they were willing to adjust your trailer at no cost.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally, what I like for a set up, is for the bunks to extend past the back of the boat by a just a little bit. Not extend past by too much mind you, but past the bottom edge of the hull, where the boat will normally sit on the trailer most of the time, when you load the boat.

To me at least, that is the set-up that supports the hull of the boat best.

So if you're setting the trailer up yourself, you'll want to use a scale to check the tongue weight, and then you can either move the stand forward or back to get the proper over hang. Once you get the proper overhang, you would then have to re-check the tongue weight. If it's unacceptable, you would then more than likely have to look at moving the bunks forward or back and the winch stand a similar amount so that the tongue weight is reasonable.

As you can tell, it comes down to a bit of trail and error to get it right. :)

-Chris

Dale

Man oh Man what a difference. We drove out to Pyramid Lake yesterday and it pulled like a champ.:bigthumb: They moved the winch forward 6 inches. The bunks extend past the boat about an inch.

I'm loving this fall warm weather. We spent the whole day on the lake water skiing and it's October 18th. The wind came up in the afternoon, but it was still beautiful.:D

Thank you all for your help and advice.:cheers:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Glad it all worked out Dale. :)

Having those bunks extending past the bottom edge of the hull is the way to go! :thumb:

-Chris

Dale

Thanks Chris.

I've been trying to send you a PM for about 2 weeks and they keep going out into cyberspace somewhere. It leaves no record of it in my sent box and of course I never hear back from you.

Help!
Thanks