Engine Conversion

dwleo

After a lengthy posting and replies elsewhere on this site, it has been determined that my volvo-penta 6 cylinder I/O is not worth fixing. The exhaust manifold leaks water into the exhaust chamber - $4000 replacement - more than the boat is worth.
This boat is a 22' fibreform and was bought to be a workboat to transport materials to and from a piece of property on an island. After two years we would get rid of the boat and get something a lot nicer. Therefore the cost of conversion is, in this case, prohibitive.
So the question
confused.png
:

Is it feasible to add on to the transom and mount an outboard on it? (Removing the leg, etc.)
Being a Fibreform I don't know how beefed they made their transoms but it is even thickness overall not just at the leg. It would be powered with probably a 75 hp to 110 hp engine so the stresses would be less than the existing straight 6, I would think.
And I ain't got a bucket of money to throw at it.
I do realize that there would be a lot of changing to be done (wiring, hydraulics, etc.) but winter is coming before you know it and therefore time to work on it as it looks like this year is toast.

nathan

not knowing what the back of the boat looks like know, all I can give you is a general answer. you can do a swap but it is a lot of work. you would need to replace the original transom with a stronger on with knees that are connected to the stringers. outboard motors put more stress on a transom. also you may have to add a splash well to the back. it can be done but would probably be cheaper to replace the volvo-penta with another.