Latest Project

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I got myself a 1971 Merc 9.8 for free from our local marina. It was sitting on a back stand and I inquired about it and they said it needed too much work so the owner gave it to them. So inquired as to how much they wanted for it and they said take it and get it out of our hair. Needless to say, I've known the people forever, so I told them I'd give them 50 bucks as I didn't feel right taking it for nothing.

Anyhoo, it needs a bit of work of course, but I'm already rippin' into it.

This model is the one that is black and has the red (late 60's early 70's) Merc Graphics.

It's a pretty kewl old thing, so hopefully I can get it runnin' again. :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few shots.

I've already got the foot off as you can see.

The waterpump was a bunch of pieces of rubber.

From what they told me at the local marina, it skips in and out of gear, so I'll have to pull things apart and see what's going on. :yell: :)

Attachments

• 71merc.jpg
    71merc.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 71merc2.jpg
    71merc2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 10

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
And here are a couple more... :)

Attachments

• 71Merc3.jpg
    71Merc3.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 71Merc4.jpg
    71Merc4.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 9

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
neat little motor. I would love to get my hands on a small merc like that just to mess with then put it on a row boat or inflatible.:surf:
Do it man!

Sadly, many of these little motah's just get abandoned. They're a labour of love no doubt, as it doesn't make much sense to sink any bucks into the majority of them as you'll never have any chance of recouping your investment.

I guess if you have something really rare and desirable you might have a shot at getting your money out, but a motor like this one is more a labour of love.

But they're fun to fix up and get going again. :)

JW

Super Moderator
Now that it's dropped below freezing :yell: How's that winter project coming? Did you get the LU tool?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey JW,

Thanks for asking. :)

I did get the tool and I did get the lower unit apart. Unfortunately, the bearing carrier is cracked and that looks to be the main problem.

As far as working on it, it rained so much this year that I didn't launch my old Tin boat with any of my old motors on it.

It was a bit of a wacky year weather wise, the water level was way up a number of times, so that's why I never put old Tin boat in.

I'll have to see if I can find some of the parts I need on eBay over the winter and give it another go next spring.

Last night it was close to freezing when we got to the cottage, so this year is just about done. :yell:

-Chris