ALPHA One or ALPHA ONR Gen II

Sean

Which do you think is better... and why?

I'm starting from scratch on the new project and have chosen an Alpha. Bravo is considerably heavier and a Bravo 3 heavier again. The Volvos are just too pricey for me to get the new stuff (with the common transom cut out.

So, pros vs. cons please.

nathan

no need for a Bravo unless you are going with a big block. I have a friend on another forum that has been building and racing boats for a long time and when we got into the debate on my chaparral project this is what he said on the alphas

The important thing to get from this is the MR, the one without the pin on the lower drive shaft, is the good one.

so he recommends the MR drives. there are also the alpha short drives that are hard to find.

Sean

Jet drives are not really good with deep V boats. The deeper the V the worse the jet.

An Alpha SS (short shaft) would be just what the doctor ordered...however IF you can find one they are $3000 used and some parts are NLA for them.

The MR is an older drive than the Alpha One. I'm pretty sure they are a good drive but I don't think they are as good as an Alpha one.

The Alpha one Gen II had bolts instead of studs and a better (metal) housing for the impeller. They are supposed to shift more smoothly (but, I have no proof of this). Other than these minor differences I don't know of any tangible features....

Fun Times

For overall general maintenance, The Gen II is easier to work with and needed less frequently. Under non harsh conditions, The older impellers are recommended to be changed just about every year no matter what type of use you do or not. The Gen 2 impellers still look like new 5-7 years later whether you use the boat or not.

Peels

For overall general maintenance, The Gen II is easier to work with and needed less frequently. Under non harsh conditions, The older impellers are recommended to be changed just about every year no matter what type of use you do or not. The Gen 2 impellers still look like new 5-7 years later whether you use the boat or not.

interesting.

:thumb:

Sean

It looks as though I'm going with the Alpha One Gen I drive.

Mostly because of price and availability AND.... I have a crazy plan to shorten it 3.5 inches to raise my X dimension. For this I bought an old housing and I heard back today from the fabricator (of choice) with his enthusiasm for the project!

Last edited: