Pre Alpha mercruiser

Sean

I have a pre alpha mercruiser drive mated to a 165HP IL6.

I'm lookin at pumping up the output of the 250 CU IN six to about 250 HP. My question is will the drive be able to take it? It's been very good for 40 years, but I'm sure some of these were bolted to V8s...

What should I look out for?

nathan

the difference in the most of the alphas is gearing. the inline 6 puts out a lot of torque and torque kills outdrives. but you should be fine but if you are at all in doubt upgrade to a different alpha. I think gearing would be more of a concern then breakage

Sean

The boat is a classic woodie and I'd like to keep the original driveline. If it does not resemble the original....well then I'll just drop in a new Alpha and a modern SBC v8....

The cost to upgrade the IL6 is about what a SBC would cost anyways. But, i can get over reliable 250HP out of that lump and keep it looking (almost) stock.

Sean

Well that's really good news.
I'd like to keep her looking original as possible (even if she's a little better underneath)

Sean

Well,
The current power is pi**ing me off chasing the overheating gremlins.

While I'd like to stay somewhat original...I'm thinking a 4.3/alpha or maybe a 5.7/alpha combination might make me happier!

Anyone have a line on cheap power on Ontario?

It certainly will not reduce the value of the boat.

nathan

buy a project junk boat with all the drive stuff still there (I would suggest a bayliner no one is every sad to see those getting cut up). then you can sell the trailer and make back some of your investment. loose motors and outdrives are usually more expensive as they were removed to sell to were a junk boat people are usually looking to unload them.

Sean

I have been looking and I can't seem to find a junker with the right stuff....
I do see some Bayliners..mostly OMC and I have found a few twin powered boats at a good price...but I don't need 2 drive systems.

need a Merc Alpha and eithet a 5.7 (V8) or a 4.3 (V6) will be just fine.

Sean

Mission accomplished. 4.3L secured (along with everything I need from a donor.)