Leaky row boat

How would one go about fixing some leaks, mainly around the rivits on the keel of an aluminium row boat? I tried using fiberglass resin but that wouldnt stick. I was thinking some kind of caulking might do the job? Doesnt have to be pretty just watertight. The leaks seem to be comming in around the rivits that join the keel to the hull. thanks

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
BP,

Have you thought about buying some new rivets? What I've done with quite a bit of success, is that I've drilled out old leaky rivets and then installed new ones. I get the rivets that you hammer on one side while holding another hammer on the other side of the rivet.

These types of rivets are usually soft, so you just slowly tap, tap, tap and then rivets flatten and spread out and when you're done it looks just like the factory did it. :) :thumb:

Thats not a bad idea at all. However I dont think it would be worth it in this case though because the boat is too far gone IMO. Its been dragged across a rocky beach for years and its all dented and worn out. I was thinking of slapping some 100 mile tape on it .lol:lol:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thats not a bad idea at all. However I dont think it would be worth it in this case though because the boat is too far gone IMO. Its been dragged across a rocky beach for years and its all dented and worn out. I was thinking of slapping some 100 mile tape on it .lol:lol:
If you want to go that way, I've seen this aluminum/soldier stuff in a stick that you can put on that works ok.

The rivet deal is actually a lot easier than you think and you can get a box of them pretty cheap.

This year I had to put four new rivets on my old aluminum to reattach the back of the main keel on mine. Worked like a charm.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You could try just hammering the rivets similar to how I suggested.

Just get someone to hold a sledge against the one side of the rivet while you tap on the other side. That will sometimes tighten things up and stop the leak. :)

remlinger

Have to use an etching compound on the alum. prior to using epoxy or as you found out it will not stick. If done right the aluminim will fail prior to the epoxy.

devonshire

The problem may be that the rivets are fatigued and just putting a sealer on it may not give you a solution but more headaches. As another boater suggested doing new rivets is simpler than you think. I would remove the old rivets in the affected area, seal the seam and pop new rivets in...again it is easy and probably not to expensive either.