A Grew History Lesson Please

Who Grew

I know that Grew made boat under licence for Slickcraft, thanks to this forum.
I wonder now did they make boats for Chris Craft as well?
I once saw a boat that I thought had a great little layout. I would later see a picture of that boat Identified as a Chris Craft 251 Catalina, but wait, another picture of a similar boat Identified it as a Grew 290.
Are these in fact the same boat? How may different licences did Grew build under? Or am I just out to lunch?

Who Grew

Thanks Nathan,
The factory no longer exists.
It went into receivership after the then current owner shot an employee drove home and after a bit of a stand off with the police killed himself.
I found that out after trying to research a bit on my current boat.
I think when it come to Grew the answers are now out there among the boating community.

nathan

I read something about the shooting but I did not realize that it made the factory close. Apparently they just stopped everything as their website is still up. good luck on your search and if I find anything else I will post it.

Who Grew

Yes,
It is a shame that no one snatched it up but I think this is the fate of many boat manufactures.
I did find it strange that the web site is still up as if they were open for business with just a note from the Webb Master since this all took place is 2011.
Thanks for the reply.

Chris E

grew had several owners over the years, they built boats by slickcraft in the 70's (which later became pursuit/tiara yachts). later they built under licence from chris craft - mid eighties to early ninety's. they went bankrupt in the 90's, and the owner of cutter boats bought the name and started building grew boats again. these were nothing like the grews of old, these boats were very poor quality, they made bayliner look like a cobalt. those boats from the 70's, 80's and early 90's were great boats.

Who Grew

Thanks Chris,
That explains why the two look similar.
I had herd the the old grew boat were built a bit better then the ones near the end.
Thicker fibreglass and Teak substructure. More reason to keep the old one alive.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoyed my Grew for many years.

It's too bad they're gone now. But many great brands have unfortunately disappeared over the past ten years or so. :(

-Chris

Who Grew

There is at least one Grew that still lives.
Today was beautiful and Lake Simcoe let the old Grew runabout play.
Now if I could only get that play out of the steering.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
There is at least one Grew that still lives.
Today was beautiful and Lake Simcoe let the old Grew runabout play.
Now if I could only get that play out of the steering.
Yeah, yesterday was one of the nicest days of the summer.

Funny dat, fall arrives and finally so did summer! :D

-Chris

Peels

Yeah, yesterday was one of the nicest days of the summer.

Funny dat, fall arrives and finally so did summer! :D

-Chris

yes, bizarre summer, indeed.

Summer hit on labor day weekend, here, finally(which we took full advantage of) and now its going away, just as fast. :yikes:

Maybe done for the year...unless we get some PERFECT Saturdays. I coach two soccer teams that play on Sundays.

Recent weather good for motorcycling though. :bigthumb: