Fuel Stabilizer

Sean

Which one do you use?

last year I bought a bottle of brand "X" at the marina... (and paid through the nose). Later, I saw this same brand at Bass Pro Shops for several dollars less.

I just went back Saturday to get a bottle for this years ritual and that particular brand was gone! So, I wound up shelling out for the Quicksilver (Mercury) branded fuel stabilizer @ $14.00 per 355ml bottle.

I think it's probably all the same stuff with a different label....

Any thoughts? What brand do you use? What's the least expensive? Any issues/problems?

Fall is passing...

Peels

I use sta-bil every year, and havent had any trouble. Cant honestly remember what I paid for it. This is what we used when I was younger on the outboard too. also used on atv's :) I wanna say 10-15 bucks.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I usually look at the bottles and see how much they spec.

Some small bottles require very little and some big bottles that seem cheaper spec that you use more.

Typically over the last few years I've bought the STP one and haven't had any issues. I usually do a double dose. :)

-Chris

Sean

Just looking around now I found...

355ml of the Quicksilver stuff does 227 litres. - $14.00 (Bass Pro)
250ml of "Star-Tron" treats 500 litres. - $8.99 (Bass Pro)
296ml of "Sta-bil" treats 94 litres - $8.99 (Canadian Tire)
473ml of STP treats 145 litres - $12.99 (Canadian Tire)
500ml of "Motomaster" brand treats 150 litres - $3.59 (Canadian Tire)

So given the concentration, the Merc stuff is really expensive but, you can't tell the quality of any of these products. So, this is where Mercury comes to play with a BIG NAME reputation. Like most Mercury products you gotta know they are charging TOP dollar (gouging?) but, they also have warranties to protect... so you bank on the stuff being good.

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Just looking around now I found...

355ml of the Quicksilver stuff does 227 litres. - $14.00 (Bass Pro)
250ml of "Star-Tron" treats 500 litres. - $8.99 (Bass Pro)
296ml of "Sta-bil" treats 94 litres - $8.99 (Canadian Tire)
473ml of STP treats 145 litres - $12.99 (Canadian Tire)
500ml of "Motomaster" brand treats 150 litres - $3.59 (Canadian Tire)

So given the concentration, the Merc stuff is really expensive but, you can't tell the quality of any of these products. So, this is where Mercury comes to play with a BIG NAME reputation. Like most Mercury products you gotta know they are charging TOP dollar (gouging?) but, they also have warranties to protect... so you bank on the stuff being good.
I'm sure Merc just has one of the companies rebranding it for them.

At least if Merc approves a product though, it does instill a certain amount of confidence in the quality of it. :)

-Chris